2023 BAND AUDITION MUSIC
Junior High School BAND (Grade 7-8)
High School BAND (Grade 9-12)
High School Band Scales (English Horn solo also found here)
If you have an addition to add to this list, please contact Susan Willmering
The audition system will open on September 1, 2022 with an upload deadline of 11:59 PM on December 1, 2022.
2023 JAZZ BAND AUDITION MUSIC
Junior High School JAZZ BAND (Grade 7-8)
High School JAZZ BAND (Grade 9-12)
Please visit www.cajazz.org for 2023 HS All-State Vocal Jazz Audition Materials
- Concert Bands (High School and Junior High School)
- Jazz Bands (High School and Junior High School)
- Vocal Jazz Director Instructions can be found at https://cajazz.org/2023-honor-ensembles
- Student Information Collection Form (this is not the signature form)
- Recording Instructions for Concert Band All-State Auditions
- Recording Instructions for Jazz All-State Auditions
- DocuSign Walkthrough -Student Signature Form
How not to get DISQUALIFIED…
The following are reasons CBDA will disqualify an audition while judging for the All-State Honor Groups:
- Talking or coaching is heard during the recording
- Digitally altering a recording (ex: the use of auto-tuning, etc.)
- Wrong solo or excerpt is played
- Wrong scales are played
- Solo is missing sections requested
- A metronome is heard during the scales or solo
- Track/Recording Blank
CBDA is not looking to disqualify any applicant, but each must follow these guidelines. Last year we saw an overwhelming number of applicants be disqualified over these 7 reasons.
Please double-check that you are following CBDA’s required excerpts and scales for the current year. Some solos have changed from the past rotation.
2 Junior High All-State Honor String Orchestras (Grades 7-8)
2 Junior High All-State Honor Bands (Grades 7-8)
1 Junior High All-State Jazz Band (Grade 7-8)
3 High School All-State Honor Bands (Grades 9-12)
1 High School All-State Honor Jazz Band (Grades 9-12)
1 High School All-State Honor String Orchestra (Grades 9-12)
1 High School All-State Honor Full Orchestra (Grade 9-12)
- Junior High SATB
- High School SSAA
- High School SATB
- High School TTBB
All of these ensembles will participate in the California All-State Music Education Conference February 15-19, 2023.
CBDA administers woodwind, brass, percussion, and strings for the All-State Band and Orchestra auditions.
The All-State HS Orchestras rehearsals and performances take place during the same time as the All-State High School Honor Bands. All woodwind, brass, and percussion students submitting auditions will be asked to choose from three options:
- “I am auditioning for either All-State Honor Band or the All-State Honor Orchestra.”
- “I am only auditioning for All-State Honor Band.”
- “I am only auditioning for All-State Honor Orchestra.”
Saxophone and Euphonium auditions are considered for band only. There are no winds and percussion in the All-State Junior High Orchestras.
All string players audition by visiting CODA and following the instructions on that website.