How not to get DISQUALIFIED…
The following are reasons CBDA will disqualify an audition while judging for the All-State Honor Groups:
- Talking or coaching is heard during the recording
- Digitally altering a recording (ex: the use of auto-tuning, etc.)
- Wrong solo or excerpt is played
- Wrong scales are played
- Solo is missing sections requested
- A metronome is heard during the scales or solo
- Track/Recording Blank
CBDA is not looking to disqualify any applicant, but each must follow these guidelines. Last year we saw an overwhelming number of applicants be disqualified over these 7 reasons.
Please double-check that you are following CBDA’s required excerpts and scales for the current year. Some solos have changed from the past rotation.
Please select the scales and materials for the group you will be auditioning for.
Click here for additional information regarding All-State Jazz auditions (improvisation, scales, etc)
**note that there are no scale requirements for harp.
***if you are having issues accessing this because your personal Dropbox account is full, please LOG OUT of Dropbox, then click this link again to access the files
- Concert Bands (High School and Junior High School)
- Jazz Bands only (High School and Junior High School)
- Vocal Jazz Director Instructions can be found at https://www.cajazz.org/honor-groups
- Student Information Collection Form
- Recording Instructions for Concert Band All-State Auditions
- Recording Instructions for Jazz All-State Auditions
- DocuSign Walkthrough -Student Signature Form
California currently offers the opportunity to audition and participate in 15 All-State ensembles. Collaboratively, CBDA, CODA, and CAJ offer two junior high (Grades 7-8) All-State Honor String Orchestras, two junior high (Grades 7-8) All-State Honor Bands, a junior high (Grades 7-8) All-State Jazz Band, 3 high school (Grades 9-12) All-State Honor Bands, a high school (Grades 9-12) All-State Jazz Band, a high school (grades 9-12) All-State Honor String Orchestra, and a high school (Grades 9-12) All-State Honor Full Orchestra. CAJ also offers a high school (Grades 9-12) All-State Jazz Choir. CCDA offers four All-State Choirs. All of these ensembles will participate in the California All-State Music Education Conference in February 2022.
CBDA administers Woodwind, Brass, and Percussion for the All-State Band and Orchestra Auditions
The All-State High School Orchestras rehearsals and performances take place during the same time as the All-State High School Honor Bands. All Woodwind, brass and percussion students submitting auditions will be asked to choose from three options. Option 1: “I am auditioning for either All-State Honor Band or the All-State Honor Orchestra.” Option 2: “I am only auditioning for All-State Band.” Option 3: “I am only auditioning for All-State Orchestra.” Saxophone and euphonium auditions are considered for band only. There are no winds and percussion in the All-State Junior High Orchestras. All string players audition by going to www.codaorchestras.org and following the instructions on that website.